Sunday, May 5, 2013

Rhubarb Strawberry Crunch

nature's art
One of the prettiest plants in the edible garden, in my humble opinion, is rhubarb. Nothing quite tastes like rhubarb either - it's unique. You love it or you don't. I am of the 'love it' camp.

sprinkle of orange rind and sugar
This recipe called for equal parts strawberries and rhubarb, so my one lonely bag of last year's strawberries got pressed into service. I also added a full table spoon of the ground tangerine rind I saved from Christmas. Other than that, it's pretty much exactly the recipe as listed.

The only adjustment I made became obvious when I filled the 9x13 pan with the first round of strawberry-rhubarb mix. It wasn't nearly enough... so I doubled the recipe. Yes, we will have dessert for a month. But it's seasonal. The rhubarb won't last forever. So enjoy it while you can!

And I learned a new trick this cooking session. The butter... is  always a problem. Too hard, too soft, do I melt it? Would it matter? This time I decided to grate the butter like cheese. It has to be very hard to do this and it worked like a charm.

No finished product pic here. It's in the oven baking. And, when it comes out, it won't last long enough to have a portrait taken. Vive les produits saisonniers!

1 comment:

Judith said...

Oh yum! My mouth is watering just reading about it.